Job Title: Crate Technician
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Reports To: Crating Manager
Location(s): New York City / Long Island City
Reporting to the Crating Manager, this position is part of the production team that specializes in the production of wood crates for fine arts shipping.
- Reads and processes crate designs to given specifications
- Operates power tools and related equipment to manufacture individually designed wood crates for the handling, packing, and shipping of fine art, antiques and artifacts
- Operates a sprayer for water based adhesives, paints, and lacquer
- Contours insulation and cushioning foams and prepares inner packing materials according to a variety of design specifications
- Performs shop maintenance and other incidental and related duties as required and assigned
Experience, Skills, and Attributes
- A minimum of three (3) years of previous crate shop and/or production carpentry experience required
- Must be able to read production design paperwork
- Knowledge of general shop safety and the following power tools and their recommended safety requirements: table saw, radial arm saw, panel saw, belt and orbital sanders, pneumatic staplers and nailers, biscuit joiners, band saws, power drills and an assortment of other hand tools
- Excellent precision and attention to detail, an understanding of archival materials, museum specifications for the crating and packing of museum objects considered a plus
Physical Requirements and Qualifications
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, sit, bend, lift, and use hands. Movement may occur in warehouses and offices. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision and ability to adjust focus. Employee must be able to lift 75lbs unassisted and must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 300lbs with assistance of mechanical equipment. Noise level is usually moderate. The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee may perform on an occasional to regular basis while performing functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform these functions.
Utilization of Time and Equipment:
5% Laptop / desktop computer, telephone, projector
95% Lifting, moving, pushing and pulling equipment, cases, containers, or boxes in excess of: 10 - 20 lbs.
Licences & Certifications Required: N/A
Minimum Education: High School Degree
Minimum Experience: 3+ Years
Preferred Education: 4-Year College Degree
Preferred Experience: 4 – 7 Years
Qualified applicants should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of every duty and responsibility of the jobholder. Certain features of this job are described in the above headings, but are not necessarily limited to the above written statements. They may be subject to review. All positions within Crozier may include other duties as assigned.
Crozier is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, age, national origin, sex, sexual preference or handicap.