Director of Special Projects
Job Title: Director of Special Projects
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Location(s): Washington, DC
Travel: Site and client visits; Crozier offices
The Director of Special Projects will manage a team responsible for planning, estimating, managing and providing technical expertise associated with a variety of packing, crating, installation, rigging, special projects, and RFP museum program initiatives. These include consulting on and executing major museum relocation projects. The Director of Special Projects will develop budgets to ensure that scheduled projects fall within specified scope, budget, and time frames and ensure end-client satisfaction.
- Evaluate and create estimates for project workflows, level of effort, costs and budgets.
- Developing and writing project proposals based on client RFPs.
- Consulting on prospective relocation and collections management projects.
- Writing Scopes of Work for major projects as part of the consulting process.
- Recruiting: defining job roles in a project, writing job descriptions for prospective candidates.
- Define prospective projects to clients
- Evaluate client’s needs for a project, present and communicate plan for project execution.
- Types of projects to include
- Collection relocations
- Inventory/collection management projects.
- Rigging projects
- Evaluating the role of collection database software, inventory control, cataloging and photography in collections management and relocation projects.
- Managing concurrent projects.
- Managing a team of 40+ staff including project managers, collections managers, artifact handlers.
- Negotiating contracts and proactively flagging potential change orders.
- Attending meetings with client to coordinate activities and clarify expectations and responsibilities between project stakeholders.
- Ensure end-client satisfaction through quality management and mediation
- Collaborating and coordinating with other departments within the Iron Mountain organization to win contracts and ensure efficient and profitable project execution.
- Creating metrics to evaluate the efficiency of project execution.
- Evaluating the financial margins of projects and adjust workflows as necessary to increase efficiency of execution.
- Coordinating and managing subcontractors to ensure safe and efficient project execution.
- Present reports to senior management.
Experience, Skills, and Attributes
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience planning, managing, supervising, and coordinating major museum relocation projects.
- BS/BA/BBA Degree required.
- Must have significant knowledge of processes-driven methodologies with a strong focus on continuous process improvement;
- Superior interpersonal and demonstrated facilitation skills, including the ability to motivate and influence others, build effective interpersonal relationships, and foster and contribute to a positive and productive team environment.
- Strong organizational, analytical, verbal & writing skills, to include solid experience in writing functional and technical specifications.
- Ability to work under pressure and coordinate numerous activities and groups of people who need to cooperate to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Expertise in large scale construction management, site management and safety, OSHA, and staffing.
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise using Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
- Ability to make formal presentations to audiences at various levels.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Federal Government contracts and projects
- Experience with project management software (Primavera, Smartsheets)
- PMP Certification
- Understanding of submittals and engineering drawings.
Physical Requirements and Qualifications
Physical Requirements: Ability to move, pack, unpack, lift artwork/property. Must use and/or operate equipment and tools in warehouse, (un)loading trucks, or onsite. Must be knowledgeable regarding art handling procedures and equipment and have the ability to demonstrate proper technique as needed.
Utilization of Time and Equipment:
90% Laptop / desktop computer, telephone, projector
10% Lifting, moving, pushing and pulling equipment, cases, containers, or boxes in excess of: 10 - 20 lbs.
Licences & Certifications Required: N/A
Minimum Education: 4-Year College Degree
Minimum Experience: 7 – 10 Years
Preferred Education: 4-Year College Degree
Preferred Experience: 7 – 10 Years
Qualified applicants should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of every duty and responsibility of the jobholder. Certain features of this job are described in the above headings, but are not necessarily limited to the above written statements. They may be subject to review. All positions within Crozier may include other duties as assigned.
Crozier is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, age, national origin, sex, sexual preference or handicap.